Our trauma services program is the only Trauma Center in the region verified by the American College of Surgeons-Committee on Trauma for both adults and children - making our trauma program the most comprehensive in the region.
We are proud to be a leader in the efforts to prevent trauma and injury and enhance the quality of life and health in our community:
- First Trauma Center
- First and only accredited rehabilitation facility for adults and pediatrics
- First and only pediatric trauma center
- First Pediatric ICU staffed with a full-time Pediatric Intensivist
- First pediatric transport team
- First and only rural trauma team development course with a pediatric focus
- First pediatric symposium to educate caregivers in the region
We work to help ensure that each trauma patient receives consistently high quality, coordinated care from the pre-hospital phase through hospitalization, rehabilitation and recovery.
Level II Verified Trauma Center
As the first Level II Verified Trauma Center, we are proud to be a leader in the efforts to prevent trauma and injury. Trauma is the most serious and most preventable of all health problems.
As a Level II Trauma Center we are expected to provide initial definitive trauma care, regardless of the severity of injury. Strict guidelines regarding the availability of medical equipment and staffing are required to maintain this designation. Level II Trauma Centers provide comprehensive care, but can quickly transfer patients with more complex injuries to a Level I Trauma Center if needed.
Only a select group of medical centers receive Level II Trauma Center verification from the American College of Surgeons Committee on Trauma - the gold standard of trauma.
Add additional page content here
What Does it Take to Earn This Distinction?
- 24-hour-a-day commitment by the medical staff, including trauma surgeons, emergency physicians, anesthesiologists, neurosurgeons and orthopedic specialists.
- Hospital staff committed to trauma, including staff in emergency, surgery, respiratory therapy, laboratory, radiology, critical care, nursing, pastoral care and rehabilitation.
- Availability of numerous clinical resources such as cardiothoracic surgery; internal medicine; neurosurgery; ophthalmic, maxillofacial and plastic surgery; pediatrics; radiological specialties and many others.
- Commitment to trauma prevention and to continuing education of the trauma team members.
- Dedication to continued improvement in trauma care through a comprehensive quality assessment program.
Raising Awareness and Providing Education
Our team believes that excellent trauma care begins with a comprehensive injury prevention program. By identifying the most frequent causes of injury in our region, our associates developed a variety of programs designed to raise awareness and provide education on effective ways to help you prevent injury.
For more information on these programs, please contact Mary Raley – Injury Prevention Coordinator.
Most Comprehensive Pediatric Trauma Program in the Region
We are the only verified Level II Pediatric Trauma Center in the region and one of only four pediatric trauma centers in the state of Indiana. We collaborate with Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center, a Level I Pediatric Trauma Center, and their medical staff, to help ensure we're providing the best care possible.
The ACS-COT verification designates St. Vincentas the most comprehensive pediatric trauma program in the region. Thanks to the resources committed to pediatric trauma care, 94% of injured children treated at St. Vincent received all of their care locally at our facility, with referral back to their home community for continued follow up care.
Continuum of Care
Trauma Services at St. Vincent focuses on unidirectional flow of the patient. The initial presentation in the Emergency Department is only the beginning of what can be several months of treatment and rehabilitation.
Your stay progresses through the appropriate departments based on your injuries. Once the acute phase is complete, you will transfer to St. Vincent Rehabilitation Institute, our onsite rehabilitation facility, for continued therapy and rehabilitation. Our Rehabilitation Institute has achieved additional accreditation as a traumatic brain injury unit for adults and children.